[Talk-transit] Summary of Public Transport Proposal Criticism -> a real example from Zürich

Dominik Mahrer (Teddy) teddy at teddy.ch
Mon Feb 7 05:39:10 GMT 2011

On 02/07/2011 12:23 AM, Michael von Glasow wrote:
> On 02/05/2011 06:09 PM, Richard Mann wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 12:32 AM, Michael von Glasow
>> <michael at vonglasow.com> wrote:
>>> if I may just comment on the relation: I would also use "stop"
>>> rather than "forward_stop" and "backward_stop" for the roles since the
>>> outward and return directions of a spoon route are somewhat hard to tell
>>> apart. (Unless one stop in the loop is formally designated as the
>>> terminus
>>> where services routinely end.)
>> You have to use forward_stop and backward_stop if you combine the two
>> directions in one relation, otherwise the same-named stop in the two
>> directions don't get combined on the line diagram.
> You're probably right (though I haven't tried plotting spoon lines yet),
> when the same stop is served twice, the tool needs that information.
> "stop" works well for single-direction relations. Maybe it would be best
> to use "forward_stop" and "backward_stop" for the stops which are served
> in both directions and "stop" for the stops in the loop.

I did not play around with actual renderers, but in theory the renderer
should be able to get the diagram out of the order of the stops,
regardless of the role. If one stop is twice in the route relation it
should be obvious that it has to be some kind of loop. So in theory
forward_stop and backward_stop can be replaced by the role stop.

Or did I miss something?

Teddych