[Talk-transit] Proposed Feature - 2nd RFC - Public Transport

ant antofosm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 14:50:55 GMT 2011

Hi,

On 12.01.2011 13:40, Michał Borsuk wrote:
> Yes, we are - at the cost of (sorry to repeat the mantra) "efficiency,
> compatibility with the existing software and easier learning curve".
>  From our point of view (or mine, depends how you see it), the quality
> of the final product is a mathematical product of quite a few parameters
> (including the mantra above), NOT the quality of the data alone.

Ok, nobody is forced into a complicated tagging scheme. Anybody who is
uncomfortable with relations, advanced editors or whatever should just
put a node to each bus stop. That's fine. Another mapper will come and
turn it into a stop area and update the route relations.

>> I'm not saying everybody should do it now and everywhere. But the
>> proposed public transport scheme is a solid basis to work with and one
>> that is scalable enough to meet requirements we might not yet be
>> thinking about.
>
> I've already provided my criticism to the proposed schema, so not to
> repeat myself, on another topic:
>
> I have been sort of thinking along the same lines as you are here
> (assistance to the users of public transport). I came to the conclusion
> that the easiest thing would be to take the bus stop code and combine it
> with the link to the local timetable online. For example, to cover
> entire area of Germany one would need to import stop codes as the
> "stop_id" tag, and then have a list of online timetables combined with
> geographical location those timetables cover. As some people (myself
> included) have already imported stop_id's, the last step - the mapping
> of public transport authorities to the geographical area, and providing
> a link to the online timetable is relatively banal. An overlay would
> then take the stop_id, combine it with the URL, and here opens your
> timetable website.

I don't think that this is sufficient. People will develop standalone
OSM routing applications for public transport and won't accept any
dependency on external websites...

cheers
ant