[Talk-transit] Proposed Feature - 2nd RFC - Public Transport

ant antofosm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 15:30:38 GMT 2011

On 12.01.2011 16:00, Richard Mann wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 2:50 PM, ant<antofosm at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Ok, nobody is forced into a complicated tagging scheme. Anybody who is
>> uncomfortable with relations, advanced editors or whatever should just put a
>> node to each bus stop. That's fine. Another mapper will come and turn it
>> into a stop area and update the route relations.
>
> But if applications can cope with only having an unordered relation
> and bus stop pole nodes (or indeed just tram_stop centroids), then why
> clutter the map with lots more tags and info that the applications can
> perfectly well derive for themselves 99.9% of the time? You should
> only supply the extra info for the 0.1% of the time when it can't
> readily be derived.

I don't know what applications you have in mind, but if they can do more
than draw some lines on a map, this sounds like black magic to me.
Consider an application that takes a start and an end address, maybe
other options such as night lines only, and that shall calculate the
shortest PT connection including number of stops etc. How would you
accomplish that with the old tagging scheme?

cheers
ant