[Talk-transit] Public transport proposal

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Thu Jan 13 13:07:07 GMT 2011

After reading the complexity of the proposal for something as simple as
a bus stop I thought I should stress something that I believe as
important: Mappers are precious.

There has been some discussion on IRC about this proposal and these are
few of the  comments:

/These proposal-twiddlers completely miss the point about how precious
mappers are. I've checked about 2000 bus stops - I would have done about
10 if I had to mangle a relation each time.

"highway=bus_stop beside the way causes extra preprocessing for routing
software. "...... so?

"highway=bus_stop beside the way " = easy to map

well, any place the node is added is easy. let Intel and AMD worry about
the rest

the thing about these "we must have neat structures for routing
software" [people] is that _none_ of them have ever written any routing
software/

There were no supportive comments. Please remember this is a mapping
project, not an IT project. Ease of editing is the key to getting data
and without data we are all sunk.

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly