[Talk-transit] Proposed Feature - 2nd RFC - Public Transport

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Fri Jan 14 01:16:19 GMT 2011

Dominik Mahrer wrote:
> One month ago I already posted an RFC on this proposal. In the meantime
> I got plenty of comments and I have extended/corrected/rewritten nearly
> the whole proposal.

I'm not very happy with the extensive use of relations. Especially
nested relations strongly suggest that the level of complexity is beyond
what's appropriate for a crowd-sourced project like OSM.

The most prominent issue are stop area groups. The necessity of these
has already been questioned. I, too, tend to think that determining them
algorithmically would ultimately be a better choice. Removing the nested
relations for stop area groups would eliminate one of the most complex
concepts from the proposal, making it more accessible to mappers.

Additionally, I suggest to reconsider the requirement to use stop area
relations even in simple cases Many bus stops are very straightforward:
They consist of usually two platforms with a common name. This name is
usually unique within a range of several kilometres and, if tagged to
the platform elements, could therefore be used instead of a relation to
identify the components of the stop area.

Tobias Knerr