[Talk-transit] Summary of Public Transport Proposal Criticism

Claudius Henrichs claudius.h at gmx.de
Sat Jan 22 12:18:30 GMT 2011

Am 22.01.2011 09:32, Dominik Mahrer (Teddy):
> I try to seperate the criticism from the spam around my proposal:
>
> - stop_area is not needed/too complicated:
> According to taginfo there are already 64'500 stop area relations in
> the OSM database (10'500 public transport/oxomoa, 1'500 stop place,
> 51'500 unified stoparea).
> For me this is a reasonable number and we can't say it is only a
> minority of eccentric mappers. It is a widely used tagging schema,
> badly with several flavors. And it does not seam to be too
> complicated, otherwise it would not be that much.
Just one comment to this point: What you can't justify by statistics is
the ten thousand of cases were users deliberately decided *not* to use a
stop_area relation but simply created public_transport=stop_position and
public_transport=platform nodes with the same name next to each other.
So just like your comment for the route_master...

> - route_master is not needed:
> If all the information is tagged at the variants/directions it is not
> really needed, this is correct. I thought it is clearly described in
> the proposal that you can skip the route_master if you think it is not
> needed.
...you should add to your proposal that you can leave away the stop_area
relation for simply stop positions.

Otherwise I'm okay with your summary and the proposal.

Claudius