[Talk-transit] Summary of Public Transport Proposal Criticism

Roger Slevin roger at slevin.plus.com
Mon Jan 24 10:26:11 GMT 2011

Frankie, I think you have mentioned some good examples.

For simple pairs or even small clusters of stops then a stoparea often can be defined by rules – and indeed the systems I am working with in the UK uses such rules to define an “implicit” stoparea – the rules we use are that the commonnames of the stoppoints must be identical, and for a pair of stops they must not be more than 150m apart – or for a cluster the maximum span increases to 250m.  Such rules work well in our experience and reduce significantly the number of “explicit” stopareas that need to be created in NaPTAN.  These rules work IF the commonname of the stop is identical.  If that is not the case, then there are great dangers in assuming proximity alone will give good results – because of natural barriers or other local features that it would be difficult to ensure are understood when trying to create implicit simple stopareas.

Stopareas, however, can be much more complex and involve a hierarchy of stopareas to build a complete interchange.  For that to work each component stoparea needs to have an explicit reference and therefore needs to be coded explicitly in the NaPTAN data.  Only then can you say that stoparea A contains stopareas B, C and D – and interchange is therefore possible between stoppoints in all those stopareas.

I think the fundamental question that has not been asked – let alone answered – in the debate so far (at least in those parts of the debate that I have managed to read) is this.  Does OSM want to be able to provide data which is a representation of physical reality – in other words it is only interested in stoppoints because they exist on the ground, and not stopareas because they are an abstract concept?  Or does OSM want to be able to engage in more detail for public transport and provide data that can be used for functions such as journey planning – in which case it needs either explicit stoparea references throughout, or it needs rules to cover the implicit definition of most stopareas, and explicit relationships to cover those which cannot be defined by rules.

If OSM only holds stoppoint data then it represents the physical geography of the situation – and that would be sufficient to allow public transport routes to be added to OSM using those stoppoint references.  But as soon as you want to consider aspects of public transport network, then the data will not be sufficient at stoppoint level only.

Roger