[Talk-transit] Summary of Public Transport Proposal Criticism

Magnus Bäck baeck at swipnet.se
Tue Jan 25 07:22:16 GMT 2011

On Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 00:23 CET,
     Michal Borsuk <michal.borsuk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/25/2011 12:19 AM, Michal Borsuk wrote:
>
> > Graphically lost, so no arrows (that didn't work anyway, because
> > there are streets in which bus A runs one-way north, bus B runs
> > one-way south, and openbusmap.org could not render this).
>
> This is what I mean
> http://www.openbusmap.org/?lat=49.26791&lon=7.10739&zoom=16&layers=BT
> http://www.openbusmap.org/?lat=49.24427&lon=7.14187&zoom=17&layers=BT
>
> Buses 521, 522, and 525,526 respectively, each run in one direction,
> but the opposite one, and openbusmap.org is lost.

It's clear what you mean, but not addressing the directional issue
because one renderer of public transportation can't cope with a
particular corner case doesn't make sense. I agree that the direction
in most cases can be inferred from the stops, but I'd guess ambiguous
corner cases aren't too infrequent. Also, it doesn't necessarily mean
we should place this burden on all renderers (who otherwise don't have
to analyze the relations and draw conclusions). Placing an extra tagging
complexity load on all mappers is of course also undesirable.

--
Magnus Bäck
baeck at swipnet.se