[Talk-transit] Using route part relations in Route relations

Mike N niceman at att.net
Wed Jul 25 02:53:10 BST 2012

On 7/24/2012 10:32 AM, Jo wrote:
> Well, to be honest, I had hoped that everybody who is doing PT would
> have been screaming for this by now.  It's a message on talk-fr by
> somebody who wants to start doing this for cycle route relations that
> triggered me into proposing it yet again. I have proposed it already
> when the PT scheme was introduced, but they didn't want to include it
> back then, as they feared it might be hard enough already to get it
> passed, without it.
>
> Of course it's an extra layer in the hierarchy, but it would be a lot
> more logical than the way it's done now. As far as adding complexity
> goes, it would actually reduce the number of relations a particular way
> would be part of.
>
> Somebody told me they got a bit scared after seeing this video:

   I see what you're referring to now.

   At one time I had fantasies of turning my OSM routes + a GTFS tool
that works with OSM data over to the local transit authority to use with
OpenTripPlanner.   However when I performed the steps to modify a route
by adding a loop in the center, I was quickly corrected.

   While they'll be able to use OpenTripPlanner, their future work will
be with some general GTFS management tool, not OSM.