[Talk-transit] Proposal for a new transport tag

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 09:17:11 GMT 2012

2012/3/1 Andre Joost <andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de>

> Sounds interesting. For densly populated areas, it would be better to give
> a frequency per hour, or every xy minutes.

Maybe my "t" could be replaced with "h10" for 10 trips every hour or "d40"
for 40  trips every day.

> But how should the renderer treat a service by three bus lines runnig
> every hour? Together they serve every 20 minutes, or arrive at the same
> time to give people a chance to change the bus.
> The renderer has to lock up every bus service on a road, and count them
> together. This is not a simple thing with current mapnik.
>
> Greetings,
> Andre Joost

I must admit I don't know much about getting renderers to work, but summing
frequencies of all bus lines on each way seems to be enough for now. And if
you draw bus routes with colours ranging from blue (rare route) to red
(busy route) it should be pretty obvious where you need to go if you want
to get on a bus quickly. And for lines that aren't active on all days you
can add a dashed line (which is visible only if it is the only route on the
road).

Janko