[Talk-transit] Proposal for a new transport tag

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 09:40:42 GMT 2012

2012/3/1 Bryce McKinlay <bmckinlay at gmail.com>

> GTFS is an open data format for public transport schedules. Just
> because it was invented by Google does not mean that it's only
> relevant to them.
>
> Many projects use GTFS data and have nothing to do with Google
> Transit. Example: opentripplanner.org
>
> Bryce

The problem with GTFS is that it's not easy to maintain. That means that if
your local public transport doesn't already have those feeds (and mine
doesn't and will not have in the foreseeable future), you have to make them
and maintain them yourself. That's a bit more work than I'm ready to
volunteer :)
I've looked at the GTFS specification, and there is no frequency part, only
arrival_time and departure_time. So every time a line changes one departure
time, I have to be there to change it. With transport_frequency tag I am
suggesting, a few departure times more or less is not a big problem.

Janko