[Talk-transit] Colors

Hillsman, Edward hillsman at cutr.usf.edu
Fri Mar 30 12:41:57 BST 2012

Alexander wrote:

>Another thing: does adding the color tag to a route relation actually do anything right now? I think that it definitely should.
>
>-Alexander

OSMTransport, at http://3liz.fr/public/osmtransport/, displays the route colors. So if a system has a "Red Line" or "Blue Route" that is commonly referred to as such, the color tag enables this to be shown. For the routes I have mapped in Tampa, FL, I have included the colors that the local transit agency recorded in its GTFS file, which we have permission to use in OSM. However, I think the agency uses the colors only for mapping on its own website. People here refer to routes by number or destination, not color. I have not mapped all of the agency's routes, and probably won't until I get all of the dual-carriageway roads split (because remapping the route relations is cumbersome and error-prone).

I am not aware that anyone else is using the color tag but would like to know if anyone else is. Also, note that OSMTransport does not update frequently.

Edward L. Hillsman, Ph.D.
Senior Research Associate
Center for Urban Transportation Research
University of South Florida
4202 Fowler Ave., CUT100
Tampa, FL  33620-5375
813-974-2977 (tel)