[Talk-transit] maintenance is very time consuming on public transport routes

Mike N niceman at att.net
Wed Dec 4 01:01:23 UTC 2013

On 12/3/2013 6:34 PM, Jo wrote:
> Would it be useful to add all the starting times/ending times as well
> for a given route? This can be different depending on
> weekdays/Saturdays/Sundays/weekdays during short school
> holidays/weekdays during long school holidays. How would we indicate
> that difference?
>
> It's probably not wise to add it, it changes even more often than the
> routes themselves.

  It will be very awkward and tag-heavy to add time information to the
OSM data.  It's possible to add some data as listed above, but - in
addition to the variations above:
   What about route schedule timing points?  (Where the bus leaves at a
targeted time, waiting if necessary).   Technically, each of those
points must be updated according to the schedule above.

   In my tiny area without GTFS, I created the 13 routes in OSM, then
created GTFS data with an external tool to add time schedules.  The tool
was not ideal, but the GTFS and OSM routes matched exactly.  There may
be better tools available now  (For example, I haven't looked at the
GTFS editor at https://github.com/openplans/gtfs-editor )