[Talk-transit] Close stations having the same name

Erik Johansson emj at kth.se
Thu Dec 19 12:13:11 UTC 2013

I see your problem

We map them with their real name over here so you get metro/bus/rail
named the same, exactly the same. I still think you can keep your
names if you want to, try to keep data purists away. We do create data
that is used on maps and routers so the most important thing is that
the data make sense.

When you search for routing information from the public transport
companies you get other names, they still won't contain info whether
it's a buss/metro/rail or not. On the ground locally it's quite clear
what they do, i.e. a buss, but if you see it in a routing data base
it's almost impossible to know which is which unless you name them
differently.

So while I think the use described here is ok, I have to ask is there
anyone using the official_name=* alt_name=* tags, and how are they
used in real life?