[Talk-transit] GTFS and the like

Barbeau, Sean barbeau at cutr.usf.edu
Mon Apr 7 22:22:18 UTC 2014

Patrick,
Thanks for the feedback!  If I recall correctly, we do have a basic route info sync, but it's meant for route properties, not the spatial representation of the route.  You can view the route diff view here:
https://code.google.com/p/gtfs-osm-sync/wiki/GettingStarted#Report_Route_Viewer

However, I believe MapQuest's XAPI changed shortly after we implemented this and removed the ability to get route information, and the feature currently isn't functional.

Routes can actually have several shapes based on the trip_ids and stop_times that run on different schedules or stop sequences.  So, this can get very complex and depends on temporal information as well.  In my opinion this would be a significant undertaking, and as I mentioned earlier I'm not convinced that maintaining temporal information in OSM is the best way to represent/store the data.

No future plans to include such functionality as of now (our work is grant funded, and we currently don't have funding source to continue development), although we'd be glad to accept contributions if someone else wants to take this on.

On a related note, I think tools like Transit Wand have a lot of promise in assisting agencies/others in creating more accurate shapes.txt information:
http://transitdata.openplans.org/

Sean

Message: 1