[Talk-transit] Stop according to new PT scheme not rendered?

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 14:41:10 UTC 2014

Ottawa has all its bus stops in and rendered in OMAND and the normal
rendering web sites.  The city has links to the maps on its web site for
some years but all the bus stops are labelled highway=bus_stop and are
tagged with the stop numbers so you can text or phone a number to find out
when the next three buses are coming.

The only issue we have is new mappers adding or editing the bus stops.

Cheerio John

On 12 August 2014 10:02, Jo <winfixit at gmail.com> wrote:

> If they need inspiration on how to convert the data to OSM format:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Belgium/De_Lijndata
>
> If you think it would actually help, I can also stop adding
> highway=bus_stop on the next few thousand of bus stops I'm adding. But I
> don't think anybody would really care about whether Belgian or Swiss bus
> stops get rendered or not.
>
> Polyglot

>> I just have a meeting with a "big" (well for Swiss scale) Public
>> transport company. They want to tag and maintain (!) there lines in OSM.
>> And they will obviously render the data.
>> I was hesitating, but after our discussion here, I came to the conclusion
>> that I will advise them to tag ONLY the new schema, and adapt there
>> rendering accordingly.
>> They more tagger/public transport companies will do the same, the more
>> accepted the new tag will come.
>>
>> nounours77
>>
>> Am 12.08.2014 um 12:08 schrieb Janko Mihelić <janjko at gmail.com>:
>>
>> It only takes one great public transport map with routing, and the new
>> scheme will come to life. Who cares about Openstreetmap default map. Who
>> cares about the public transport layer on Openstreetmap which doesn't even
>> have tram lines rendered. We need outside help with this :)
>>
>> Janko

>>> Now that the new way of rendering with Carto instead of Mapnik is
>>> finally becoming reality, it becomes clear that highway=bus_stop will never
>>> (or at least not during my lifetime) be replaced by
>>> public_transport=platform/bus=yes.
>>>
>>> I started to double tag all the new stops I'm adding and the ones I'm
>>> updating.
>>>
>>> Some people claim that public_transport=platform/bus=yes is longer and
>>> less efficient than highway=bus_stop, but of course
>>>
>>> highway=bus_stop
>>> public_transport=platform