[Talk-transit] Naming concepts

Felix Delattre felix-lists at delattre.de
Mon Oct 31 10:01:13 UTC 2016

On 31/10/16 10:05, Roland Olbricht wrote:

>> For me that is a line. It has a line number. (which sometimes is not
>> simply
>> numeric, so it's more of a symbol, but OK)

>> I would call those itinerary. If OSM had started out with that term, we
>> wouldn't have the ambiguity today. But route is used for
>> foot/bicycle/horse
>> and PT itineraries. For PT I resorted to call them route variations, but
>> they are 'represented' by route relations in OSM.
>>

> I fully support that wording.

I also like them. Thanks, Jo!
But isn't "line" an European wording? Would an English native speaker
intuitively understand the concepts of "line" and "itinerary"? I always
thought a "line" is more likely to understand as a network or public
transport operator for US boys and girls - but (hopefully) I might be wrong.