[Talk-transit] Public Transport Smart Cards

Brian Prangle bprangle at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 20:27:06 UTC 2017

Hi everyone

TfWM(Transport for West Midands) in the UK  have recently introduced  the
Swift Card (similar to TfL's Oyster Card) and have started installing Swift
Collectors in bus shelters and bus stations. Swift Collectors are where you
insert your Swift Card to get the stored-value topped-up: you can't make
payments- that has to be done elsewhere.

So how to tag? The tagging schema at the map features wiki page doesn't
seem to fit. It's alright until you get the payment options
amenity=vending_machine
vending=public_transport_tickets
payment:xxxx=xxxx

Perhaps

payment=no
top_up=yes

The second problem is associating these collectors with the pole or shelter
which is where they are physically located. Should they be a separate node
adjacent to the bus_stop node? Adding the tags to bus_stop might confuse
everything - is it a bus_stop or a vending_machine?

How have other folk approached this problem?

Cross-posted from  talk-gb

I realise we're behind the times talking about bus_stops rather than
platforms ( it's a UK thing)

Regards

Brian