[Talk-transit] Proposal for simplification of mapping public transport

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Tue Apr 10 14:23:29 UTC 2018

But for the thousands of platform ways/areas that do already exist,
you're proposing that someone has to go back and add nodes, move all the
tags over, change which is the relation member, etc.?  That's not very
friendly.

On 2018-04-10 00:41, Jo wrote:

> The proposal doesn't say that it's not possible to map the actual platforms as ways or areas in ADDITION to that node, if they are actually present.
>
> What it says is that it's not necessary to transfer all the details from the node to the way/area and replace the node in the route relations.
>
> The node REPRESENTING the stop keeps fulfilling this function for the lifetime of the stop's 'existence'.
>
> Jo

>> On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 1:19 PM, Jo <winfixit at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Here goes my proposal for a reform in mapping public transport:
>>
>> [nodes not platforms]
>>
>> If this applies to Heavy Rail and Light Rail rapid transit and not
>> just Bus Stops, I object.
>>
>> The Transport layer on OpenStreetMap is much more useful at high zoom
>> levels with Platform entities in the DB than it would be without them.
>>
>> From
>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/query?lat=42.34752&lon=-71.09989#map=18/42.34678/-71.09936&layers=T [1]
>> one can see that the two lines do NOT share a platform so that one can
>> not change directions with a wheelchair without taking two elevators,
>> either of which may be out of service; but if there was only one
>> platform between two lines, one could.
>> THIS IS USEFUL TO MAP.
>>
>> I support simplicity, but agree with Einstein: Things should be as
>> simple as possible, but not simpler. This proposal goes too far.
>>
>> --
>> Bill Ricker
>> bill.n1vux at gmail.com
>> https://www.linkedin.com/in/n1vux [2]

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov

Links:
------
[1]
https://www.openstreetmap.org/query?lat=42.34752&lon=-71.09989#map=18/42.34678/-71.09936&layers=T