[Talk-transit] Proposal for simplification of mapping public transport

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 19:22:25 UTC 2018

Mapping stop_position nodes is just fine. I would simply not add them to
the route relations.

Mapping platforms as ways or areas adds enhances detail. But no need to add
them to the route relations.

The proposal is about having 1 object to represent the stops for its whole
lifetime and nodes happen to be the most suitable kind of object for this.

Add all the pertinent details to this object and only add this object to
the route relations, once each time the vehicle serves it for that
particular itinerary variation. (route relation)

I've been using this scheme in Belgium, a country with 3-4 PT operators for
several years now and it works really well. I knew it was going to be hard
to propose a change, that for some is somewhat radical.

It does not mean that we're reverting back to PT "v1" though. Everything
can still be expressed in as much detail as needed or wanted. But to
enhance the detail during the lifetime of the stop, it won't be needed to
transfer tags from one object to another, or to replace objects in the
route relations.

We need a scheme that is easy to maintain by anybody and what I see
happening in Germany mostly, but also elsewhere around Europe, based on
what is described in the wiki is overly complex, thus making it only for
"experts", and we don't have enough of those.

Polyglot