[Talk-transit] Proposal for simplification of mapping public transport

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon Apr 16 19:54:40 UTC 2018

stop_position is even worse for trains, which might be hundreds of
meters long with dozens of doors.  The wiki says to map it as the
"center" of the train, but I'm not sure that's useful other than to
explicitly indicate which track the train uses, which could probably be
deduced from the route relation anyway.  It's also not necessarily a
fixed point; at stations here where all passengers enter/exit a platform
at one end, trains always stop with their front/rear at that end of the
platform, so the center depends on the train's length.  Heck, even the
platform a route uses is not necessarily fixed; at many large stations,
different trains on the same route can show up on different platforms or
tracks, and that case doesn't seem to be mappable at all today.

It seems a bit simpler for buses, where the front generally stops in the
same place every time and folks generally enter the front door, though
there are always exceptions.  The location of exit-only doors doesn't
seem like something that needs mapping.

On 2018-04-16 13:26, Jo wrote:

> Here in Belgium, we have normal buses and longer ones, either can have 2 doors or 3 doors. There is no way of knowing which of those buses is going to serve which stops at a given time. The only thing we do know for sure, is that we are supposed to get on in front, except for wheelchairs and parents with strollers. I fail to understand why stop_positions are considered to be that important. Especially for buses. For trains I might understand, but even there it's impossible to predict where exactly the doors will be when the train stops. And it's not important, what matters is when there are zones on the platforms, those we can map by splitting those platforms.
>
> Jo

>> Stephen wrote:
>>> If a consumer doesn't care about stop_position members, it's trivial
>>> ignore them.  If the current spec says they're mandatory, then
>>> propose
>>> making them optional; I would support that.  I don't support
>>> prohibiting
>>> or removing them.
>>
>> They are optional in the current spec. I don't bother with them in bus route relations as physically a bus has to stop on a relation member way close enough to the bus stop (platform) node for passengers to get on (with the exact stop position depending whether the particular bus has doors at front, middle or rear).
>>
>> Ed

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov

Links:
------