[Talk-transit] Uploading public transport data on OSM

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 12:17:22 UTC 2018

Hi, the very first question that comes to mind is: is it under a suitable
license, or can you get explicit permission from the operator to contribute
it to OpenStreetMap?

The next issue is that there is no direct way to add GTFS to OSM. stops.txt
can be converted to nodes for the stops, but the other files need to be
processed to generate route relations containing lists of these stops.

Sometimes there are shape files in GTFS, if that permission is granted
these can be used as guides to know where the buses pass, but converting
them to something useful in OSM (route and route_master) relations is very
involved.

I'm proposing a project for GSoC (Google Summer of Code) to create a web
interface to help with such conversion and followup on its progress, so if
you know students who know Python, Django and PostGIS, let them contact me.

Polyglot