[Talk-transit] Uploading public transport data on OSM

Andrew Davidson theswavu at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 03:11:53 UTC 2018

On 19/01/18 01:32, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
> Agreed; ref:gtfs just won't work, and ref:OPER probably would.

I had always thought that ref was the public facing reference that is
used (ie: what's on the bus stop sign) and in the GTFS scheme this is
stop_code. The stop_id is supposed to be unique and is not necessarily
the same as stop_code. Looking at taginfo the most common way to tag
stop_id seems to be gtfs_id.

So if there is more than one stop_id for a stop (ie: appears in more
than one GTFS feed) I would have thought something like:

gtfs_id:OPERATOR=<something>

I have read elsewhere that some mappers prefer to use NETWORK, rather
than OPERATOR, because their systems get put up for tender for operation
on a regular basis so NETWORK is more persistent.

I was wondering if there are more than one stop_id is it worthwhile
tagging something like this:

gtfs_id=A1;B1;C1
gtfs_id:A=A1
gtfs_id:B=B1
gtfs_id:C=C1

So that the data consumers will find multiple values under gtfs_id and
know to look for an operator or network value. Or is it better to leave
it blank? I guess it would depend on whether or not you have put
qualified gtfs_id's on everything or just the shared stops.