[Talk-transit] [Tagging] Transport mode on platforms? (Was: Re: Documentation issues of PT tagging schemes)

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 05:25:58 UTC 2018

Very soon after PTv2 was 'accepted' I understood that if we would ever
replace hw=bus_stop NODES with pt=platform, the mode of transport would
need to be added on these nodes.

Ever since it's a back and forth pulling between yes the mode of transport
can be added on them and NO the platforms don't need a mode of transport.

In the mean time, I'm not so sure that there is willingness to 'deprecate'
highway=bus_stop, not even sure if there ever was, and I guess there is no
real need for it etiher. The problem with that kind of thinking is that it
can lead to the conclusion the whole public_transport scheme is not needed
for the stops.

Now I don't mind using it, just like I wouldn't mind dropping it.

What I do mind is the use of multiple objects in the route relations to
represent the same stop and the perceived need to 'upgrade' stops from
nodes to ways/areas during their lifecycle if there are actual platforms
for passengers to wait on.

I created a 10 minute screencast showing some new functionality in
PT_Assistant, but more importantly it also shows the public_transport tags
are a bit confusing to some. In this case the stops mapped nicely as nodes
alongside the way got stop_position instead of platform as the value.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVcKredS0kA

PT_Assistant's validator will tell you about this and JOSM will make it
easy to correct the situation.

After stopping the recording I went on to fix the from/to tags and adding a
route_master relation before uploading. But I wanted to keep the screencast
concise and to the point.

Polyglot