[Talk-transit] [Tagging] Public Transport Timetables

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 11:57:06 UTC 2018

Hi Tony,

Could you also have a look at the proposal I created?

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Public_transport_timetables

At the moment I'm looking into how to represent that in meaningful ways
using MapCSS in JOSM, but I don't think that makes too much sense.

For your use case where you want to do routing. The timetable relations
give the possibility to calculate when a bus passes at a particular stop at
a given time of day. And it's possible to see how long it takes to get from
there to another stop or calculate at what time one arrives there. For
complex routing involving transfers this will involve quite a bit of
recursion, but it should be feasible.

At the moment I'm looking how this can be rendered in meaningful ways and
how data entry can be made as convenient as possible. (I think we need
spreadsheet like functionality to accomplish that, I made an attempt here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16wEAMjbgr9yEUglGaUzdGkB5MJEg3VEI3om6UgCnqKg/edit#gid=0
 .
But we need more possibilities for indicating where a specific time on the
schedule came from.

Right now I have the following:

Line (route_master relation)
   contains several:
     Itineraries composes of (longest) stop sequences including ways (route
relation)
        if referred to by 1 or more
           Actual stop sequences with time deltas (timetable relation)
               The stops in these relations are always a subset of the
referre route relation

I would also include a public_holidays relation in each route_master
relation to avoid duplication but still enable which days get Sunday
schedules and which days are in school holiday periods.

If anyone feels like doing a Google Hangout to discuss this, let me know. I
have time tonight and Friday evening

Polyglot