[Talk-transit] New wiki article about network-relations: please review section about public transport

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon Sep 10 20:33:25 UTC 2018

My main problem with this page is that it doesn't actually define the
term "network", and the only mention that a network relation is one with
"type=network" is buried down in the section on electric networks.  It
does mention route relations, but it doesn't explcitly call them out as
being "type=route", which would have been a great place to put such a
clear and useful distinction.

The page for Key:network is also sadly lacking a clear definition of
"network".  There are a couple of references that seem to indicate it's
a coherent numbering scheme (i.e. network denotes the namespace for the
ref tag), which would be clear and useful at least for numbered routes
and seems to be what is done in practice, but the section on public
transit implies it might instead be for fare systems, which is entirely
orthogonal.

Also, it isn't clear what "features" should be members of a network
relation.  Routes?  Route Masters?  Stations?  Platforms?  Stop areas?
If you include too many features, when the number of members grows to
impractical levels, can you have a hierarchy--such as the
"super"-relations used for long highway routes?

On 2018-08-31 03:04, User 30303020 wrote:

> Dear subscribers,
>
> quite recently a new wiki article about network-relations was created [1]. It features a section about network-relaitons in public transport mapping. Please review this section as there may be more approaches to this topic than mentioned in the article. Just to clarify the notion of a network-relation, I copied the definition here:
>
> _A network-relation groups features as members of a network, marks them as being part of a certain network and represents this network itself. A route-relation with the network=* tag is therefore not a network-relation._
>
> Thanks and kind regards
> U30303020
>
> ----
> Link:
> [1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:network

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov

Links:
------
[1] https://mail.de