[Talk-transit] Ideas for a simplified public transportation scheme

Markus selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 14:04:31 UTC 2019

On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 at 13:47, Dave F via Talk-transit
<talk-transit at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Are Stop_Areas required?
> What are they for?
> Are they in use?/Who uses them?/Will they ever be used?*
> If there is a purpose for them, what should they consist of? I've seen
> shops, bike racks, litter bins included. Surely they're irrelevant?

At least, stop_areas are required for underground stations (if
footways have not been mapped yet) to link the railway=subway_entrance
with the station.

Including other elements than station, platform and entrances IMHO is
useless and makes the relations unnecessarily confusing.

> Remove public_transport=station/train=yes &
> public_transport=platform/train=yes from railways.
> They are purely duplication of the existing, much used
> railway=station/railway=platform respectively. They provide no
> additional information. Duplication is wasted effort. It leads to
> confusion & errors.

I completely agree.

Regards

Markus