[Talk-transit] Ideas for a simplified public transportation scheme

DC Viennablog emergency99 at outlook.com
Sun Apr 28 16:13:50 UTC 2019

Hello everyone,

I will briefly jump into this conversation, as I have mapped quite a few bus routes in and around vienna, austria, and amended most Stops there to fit the definitions of the pt:v2 from the wiki.

In my view, it would, at least for bus stops, be enough if there was a (bus) stop tag (whether highway= or public_transport= can be discussed), on the position of the station sign on the sidewalk/platform. Then, an optional way (line or polygon) could be added for a real platform (higher or extra sidewalk area).
In a route relation, only the stop node (that should then really only ever be a node with the station name&local_ref on it) should be part of that.

For the stop_area relations: I put each belonging stops in Vienna into their own stop area relations, as some other mapper once wanted to use them for some statistical reading of public transport in the city using the API to find the stop areas, which obviously is easier if they are already in relations. But in my opinion, as it stands, for bus or tram stops, these relations do not make that much sense. As any software should be able to find those connections between stops with the same name, the stop areas are quite redundent.

For bigger train stations, with differently named bus stops around it, that all belong to it in some way, a relation can be useful, but that case is quite rare. Usually the stations would have the same name. If I find the time, I might also write a tagging/relation sugesstion that would slightly unclutter the tagging, but as we know, there have been many such suggestions so far, and there is never a 100% consensus. But no harm in discussing it.

Kind Regards
RobinD. (emergency99)