Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon Apr 29 15:17:31 UTC 2019

On 2019-04-28 06:46, Dave F via Talk-transit wrote:
> Are Stop_Areas required?
> What are they for?
> Are they in use?/Who uses them?/Will they ever be used?*
> If there is a purpose for them, what should they consist of? I've seen
> shops, bike racks, litter bins included. Surely they're irrelevant?
>
> Remove public_transport=station/train=yes &
> public_transport=platform/train=yes from railways.
> They are purely duplication of the existing, much used
> railway=station/railway=platform respectively. They provide no
> additional information. Duplication is wasted effort. It leads to
> confusion & errors.

Agreed.

> The use of 'platform' seems to have been hi-jacked by PT to represent
> a stopping place instead of it's original true meaning of a physical
> raised area above road level to aid vehicle boarding.

Part of what seems to have started the PTv2 mess is that bus stops were
sometimes mapped on the way and sometimes beside the way, and both cases
were tagged the same.  PTv2 tried to separate those into "platform" and
"stop_position", to bring uniformity across modes.

We need platforms beside the way so routers can get people to/from the
stop on foot.  This is a big deal because trains are long and can
usually be boarded along their entire length, unlike buses where a node
often suffices.

OTOH, we need stop positions so routers can get people from stop to stop
on the buses/trains.

Where things went off the rails (pun intended) is creating redundant
mode-neutral tags (probably so routers would work regardless of mode)
when mode-specific tags already existed.

> Is public_transport=platform required at all on bus stops? As with
> railways, use existing tags.

Agreed.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov