[Talk-transit] Ideas for a simplified public transportation scheme

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon Apr 29 15:22:14 UTC 2019

On 2019-04-28 09:04, Markus wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 at 13:47, Dave F via Talk-transit
> <talk-transit at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>> Are Stop_Areas required?
>> What are they for?
>> Are they in use?/Who uses them?/Will they ever be used?*
>> If there is a purpose for them, what should they consist of? I've seen
>> shops, bike racks, litter bins included. Surely they're irrelevant?
>
> At least, stop_areas are required for underground stations (if
> footways have not been mapped yet) to link the railway=subway_entrance
> with the station.
>
> Including other elements than station, platform and entrances IMHO is
> useless and makes the relations unnecessarily confusing.

Stop areas are supposed to link stop positions to platforms, so a router
knows which platform you need to take a route that only stops on a
particular track.  In most cases, this can be inferred by proximity, but
in some it can't, particularly at very complex stations.

If an entrance serves a subset of platforms (i.e. you might have to
leave and re-enter via a different door to change trains), then it might
make sense in a stop area, but otherwise, it's just part of the station.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov