Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 30 10:50:19 UTC 2019

On 29/04/2019 19:39, Markus wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 at 17:18, Stephen Sprunk <stephen at sprunk.org> wrote:
>> Part of what seems to have started the PTv2 mess is that bus stops were
>> sometimes mapped on the way and sometimes beside the way, and both cases
>> were tagged the same.  PTv2 tried to separate those into "platform" and
>> "stop_position", to bring uniformity across modes.
> It would have been a lot easier to just recommend placing stops beside
> the road. :)

If there is a problem on the OSM database I believe sorting that problem
is beneficial rather than 'papering over the cracks' by adding extra
tags. It may seem quite laborious, but just as quick as adding those tags.

>> We need platforms beside the way so routers can get people to/from the
>> stop on foot.  This is a big deal because trains are long and can
>> usually be boarded along their entire length, unlike buses where a node
>> often suffices.
>>
>> OTOH, we need stop positions so routers can get people from stop to stop
>> on the buses/trains.
> Routers just need the platforms (the places beside the road) because
> the journey begins and ends there.

Please clarify what you mean by 'platforms'? Many UK bus stops are
merely signs clamped to telegraph poles. In rural areas there may not
even be a pavement, let alone a raise platform. Please remember that we
should be mapping the physical world. PT schema should fit in with
what's actually there.

>   Stop positions (on the road) are
> irrelevant for routing. If someone, for whatever reasons, needs the
> stop positions, they can be calculated (projection of the stop node or
> centroid of the platform to the highway or railway way).

Wouldn't a stop position be easier to locate if it's a node on the
highway, rather than an imaginary, offset 'platform'?

Please show me a router which uses platforms as I'm struggling to see
the benefits atm.

Cheers
DaveF