[Talk-transit] Public transport validator+generator from Maps.Me

Alexey Zakharenkov eulenspiegel at list.ru
Mon Jun 17 12:38:28 UTC 2019

Hi, Tijmen.

Thank you for your questions. I’ll give my vision.

> On 11-06-19 18:13, Alexey Zakharenkov via Talk-transit wrote:
>> Hi, Noémie, Mateusz and others!
>> I’ve extracted all the generated error messages from our subway validator source and list them below with some comments. You’ll see that most of them concern topology of a transport network which requires much programming and cannot be expressed in terms of MapCSS rules.
>> Please express your opinion if you consider some checks to be arguable.
>
> Trying to solve a bit in France/Belgium/The Netherlands...
>
> I found (in France->Lyon)
> * 3 unused stations: n5509480923, n5821110979, n5821110983
> Those three are station=subway. Yet they are used by funicular lines. How should they be tagged?

These stations serve route=funicular on rails tagged with railway=funicular; platforms at n5509480923 are tagged «railway=platform + funicular=yes». So I strongly believe that the stations should be tagged «railway=station + station=funicular».

> *  Subway entrance is not a node (way 84606562, "Ascenseur Métro Direction La Soie")
>
> This is a square for the ascenseur, which is a subway entrance. Should a separate node be drawn for this entrance? I think that's a bit overkill.

I think we must distinguish an entrance and a building it leads to. An entrance seems to be a door, gate, gap or like that, not the whole (even small) building. It’s a pure logical consideration. There is a practical one.
Subway entrances are essential element of routing by subways. Routing software should lead a user from his start location to the nearest entrance, build a route on subway lines, and show the best exit depending on the destination point.
Let’s look at roads. You may draw a road as an area if it has significant width, but mapping rules oblige you also to draw a way along the axial line of the road. Routing works well with lines and nodes, not areas.

> Tijmen / IIVQ

Alexey, Maps.Me