Markus selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Fri May 3 09:51:16 UTC 2019

On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 at 12:51, Dave F via Talk-transit
<talk-transit at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> On 29/04/2019 19:39, Markus wrote:
> >
> > Routers just need the platforms (the places beside the road) because
> > the journey begins and ends there.
>
> Please clarify what you mean by 'platforms'? Many UK bus stops are
> merely signs clamped to telegraph poles. In rural areas there may not
> even be a pavement, let alone a raise platform. Please remember that we
> should be mapping the physical world. PT schema should fit in with
> what's actually there.

I meant public_transport=platform: the waiting area beside the road,
that is, what is usually called the (bus/tram) stop (as opposed to the
public_transport=stop_position on the highway way).

> >   Stop positions (on the road) are
> > irrelevant for routing. If someone, for whatever reasons, needs the
> > stop positions, they can be calculated (projection of the stop node or
> > centroid of the platform to the highway or railway way).
>
> Wouldn't a stop position be easier to locate if it's a node on the
> highway, rather than an imaginary, offset 'platform'?

In order that the router navigates you to the right side of the street
(especially if there are mapped sidewalks), a stop node beside the
road is needed.

> Please show me a router which uses platforms as I'm struggling to see
> the benefits atm.

OsmAnd. It's able to navigate with routes consisting only of
highway=bus_stop beside the road. To try it yourself, download the
Sweden --> Stockholm County map.

Regards

Markus