Wiklund Johan johan.wiklund at entur.org
Fri May 3 20:48:52 UTC 2019

> Please show me a router which uses platforms as I'm struggling to see the benefits atm.

And:

> This reinforces my point about misappropriation of tags. A platform is a physical construction higher than the surrounding ground to allow easier boarding.
>
> A platform:
> https://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/04/76/30/4763016_2416f5ee.jpg
>
> Not a platform:
> https://i.pinimg.com/originals/38/90/a0/3890a0f451e1a6900d174b29125b3c80.jpg

We use public_transport=platform abundantly in routing with OTP, and it is a key component in specifying the origin of walk links. We use it as an area, or a way. We need these to make direct contact between our stops (separate database) and the foot-routing network of OSM.

I further see no problem in extending the usage of the platform (public_transport=platform) to any waiting area for public transport. To force correct word description would force one to use terms like "street_waiting_area" "dirt_pit", "ditch" or "sidewalk" which would only be hairsplitting. If the usage of the word platform is misappropriation, I think it is the wording in the scheme that is too narrowly defined, rather than the widespread usage being wrong.

However, don’t get me wrong. I don’t really care what it's called as long as there is an area which can represent where passengers wait, and to which public transport vehicles arrive. This is of course the needs of our own journey planner, and we have no stake in the wider public transport scheme of OSM. I just wanted to show that there are indeed routers which use the platforms, and have great emphasis on their usage.

In case you were wondering which router I'm talking about: https://en-tur.no/ (https://github.com/entur/opentripplanner)

Sincerely (and possibly missing a few points because I haven't been reading the whole discussion),

Johan Wiklund
Entur