[Talk-transit] Ideas for a simplified public transportation scheme

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon May 6 17:29:17 UTC 2019

On 2019-04-30 06:06, Dave F via Talk-transit wrote:
> On 29/04/2019 16:22, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
>>
>> Stop areas are supposed to link stop positions to platforms, so a
>> router knows which platform you need to take a route that only stops
>> on a particular track.  In most cases, this can be inferred by
>> proximity, but in some it can't, particularly at very complex
>> stations.
>
> If there needs to be a 'link' (& I'm still not convinced it does), can
> it not be achieved with unifying tags on nodes/ways? Why does it
> require a relation?
>
> Relations were devised to allow items which couldn't be achieved on
> nodes/ways alone (ie routes) not to collect things together. If it can
> be done without relations it makes tagging so much simpler & less
> prone to errors.

What is the "unifying tag" you propose, and how would it work?

I'd love to see stop areas go away, or at least limited to instances
where the link between stop position and platform can't be deduced from
geometry.  Heck, in most cases, the stop position itself can be deduced
from the platform and route geometry--assuming the platform is in the
route relation, which isn't always the case.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov