[Talk-transit] Old railways

Sun May 12 11:54:01 UTC 2019

Hello,

In my environment, some people are adding old ("razed" railways to
openstreetmak, of which no trace is visible in the field.
It concerns both old railways which have been gone since 1933, e.g.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/592259029 (Note that this piece still
is somewhat visible, as it is now a road and partially a cycle path).

Another example is a tram line in Amsterdam that has been gone for a
year now <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/672838805>, the area has
been completely redeveloped, no trace of the old tram tracks remains.

Although I am a great fan of abandoned railways, IMHO such "razed"
railways or other objects of which no trace remains, don't belong on OSM
(although there is much discussion, see
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Railways#Abandoned_railways_where_all_evidence_has_been_removed>).

I only recently found out about openrailwaymap, but I can't find much
information about it. It seems it gets its data from the OSM database.

Is there a way to store "razed" railways somewhere else, so they will
show up on openrailwaymap but not on OSM (they are rendered on some
renderers, e.g. OSMAND)

Funny anecdote: OSMAND showing abandoned railways has on one occasion
led me to a detour because I thought I saw a footpath cross a canal
where a razed railway has a very similar rendering.

Tijmen / IIVQ