Jarek PiĆ³rkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Sun May 12 13:57:19 UTC 2019

On Thu, 9 May 2019 at 17:04, Markus <selfishseahorse at gmail.com> wrote:
> Could you please give some examples where the stop position can't be
> calculated from the waiting area? I'd also like to know for which use
> cases the stop positions are necessary.

I can imagine calculating correct stop position being challenging in
case of multi-lane bus stations like
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/37096072 (looks like
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Islington_TTC_Bus_Barns.jpg in
reality) or https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/617387384.

In case of Islington the individual stops/platforms are currently not
mapped, but if they were added, calculating the correct stopping
position will also require the router knowing if traffic in the region
is left hand or right hand - that is, on which side the buses have
doors, and thus in which lane they will be.

Then there is the weird case of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_station#Harvard_Bus_Tunnel where
buses run on the off-side, and some buses have doors on the off-sides
for historical infrastructure reasons.

Arguably the exact stopping position doesn't matter very much - does
it matter if you show the bus route on the next lane, 3 m over? But it
does complicate absolute correctness.

--Jarek