[Talk-transit] Ideas for a simplified public transportation scheme

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Mon May 13 07:52:26 UTC 2019

Indeed, that's were we don't seem to be able to agree.

Let's say all bus stops are mapped on nodes to get started.

Then a mapper notices there is a platform near to some of them. Those
platforms can simply be drawn, in addition, to the nodes that represent
such stops. No need to transfer from a node to a way and update all the
route relations where that stop is used.

If I'm not mistaken, in the Netherlands, all house numbers are mapped on
nodes, which are contained within building outlines. I don't really like
that a spatial query is needed to connect buildings to addresses, but as
far as 'tranquility' in the data goes, it's a nice solution.

Back to PT. What most data consumers need is to know where can I
board/alight from the vehicles. A set of coordinates near to where the bus
passes + an indication on which side of the street the doors will open.

For drawing maps we need that + an overview of the itineraries, i.e. the
ways the bus passes on.

For routing we basically only need the stops in the right order +
timetables that come from elsewhere. But it's nice to have the coordinates
of the stops directly available.

Polyglot

Polyglot