Snusmumriken snusmumriken.mapper at runbox.com
Mon May 13 14:27:48 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-05-13 at 08:47 -0400, Jarek PiĆ³rkowski wrote:
> On Mon, 13 May 2019 at 03:50, Snusmumriken
> <snusmumriken.mapper at runbox.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2019-05-12 at 20:55 +0200, Tijmen Stam wrote:
> > > It is not uncommon for key/values to be misnomers in OSM.
> > > Clearest
> > > example is private-access ways being tagged as highway=* (plus
> > > access=no) which is a misnomer in British English (which we use)
> >
> > Misnomers should clearly be avoided if at all possible. And here it
> > is
> > quite possible, by calling a bus stop a bus stop.
>
> Calling a bus stop a bus stop is fine, but if we want to avoid
> misnomers, why is it under the "highway" category, along with
> expressways and speed bumps and toll gantries, and not a "public
> transport" category?

Good point. If we would start from scratch them perhaps
public_transport=bus_stop would be the logical tag. But in OSM we
usually don't do renaming of established tags. And at least the value
part is correct in the key-value pair, at that is the one most
important to get right. And the highway-key isn't really that much off.