[Talk-transit] Public transport validator+generator from Maps.Me

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Wed May 29 19:23:28 UTC 2019

On 5/29/2019 11:35 AM, Alexey Zakharenkov via Talk-transit wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> I'm a part of team who worries about public transport status in OSM database, especially rapid transit transport. I want to represent a public transport validator+generator that somebody might find a useful facility. It's open source:
>
> https://github.com/mapsme/subways
>
> Given a list of transport networks it generates output suitable not only for rendering PT routes but also for routing. Meanwhile it finds errors like gaps in rail/road sequence in a route, absent/doubling station at a stop, etc. We run the validator daily and publish the results at
>
> http://osm-subway.maps.me
>
> The page shows that even large and important subway systems (like New York Subway) in OSM DB are currently corrupted and therefore unusable for practical purposes. Difficulties occur not only due to negligent mapping but also due to misalignment how to map PT. I call you, who is interested in PT, to use this instrument, evaluate it and give feedback. We're ready to improve this tool for the community sake and take into account worthwhile suggestions.
>
> Thank you for your attention.
> I'm ready to answer any questions.
>
> Best regards,
> Alexey

Hi Alexey -- I've seen this same validator on Ilya Zverev's personal
page ( http://osmz.ru/subways/ ). This one hosted at
http://osm-subway.maps.me looks like it's a slightly updated version --
should  http://osmz.ru/subways/ be considered obsolete?

The New York City subways (also busses, ferries) really are in a sorry
state. Personally I've been waiting for some consensus to develop on
transit tagging schemes before I plunge into this mess. Of course I
could be waiting forever. So at the risk of derailing this thread (ha
ha), what are Maps.me's recommendations for subway tagging?

Thanks, Jason