[Talk-transit] Public transport validator+generator from Maps.Me

Wed May 29 19:44:40 UTC 2019

On 29-05-19 17:35, Alexey Zakharenkov via Talk-transit wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> I'm a part of team who worries about public transport status in OSM database, especially rapid transit transport. I want to represent a public transport validator+generator that somebody might find a useful facility. It's open source:
>
> https://github.com/mapsme/subways
>
> Given a list of transport networks it generates output suitable not only for rendering PT routes but also for routing. Meanwhile it finds errors like gaps in rail/road sequence in a route, absent/doubling station at a stop, etc. We run the validator daily and publish the results at
>
> http://osm-subway.maps.me
>
> The page shows that even large and important subway systems (like New York Subway) in OSM DB are currently corrupted and therefore unusable for practical purposes. Difficulties occur not only due to negligent mapping but also due to misalignment how to map PT. I call you, who is interested in PT, to use this instrument, evaluate it and give feedback. We're ready to improve this tool for the community sake and take into account worthwhile suggestions.
>
> Thank you for your attention.
> I'm ready to answer any questions.

Thank you, very useful!

I have not tested this but think that your preprocessor requires a
"station" node. However, I don't see this necessity in PT v_2.

For Belgium, I am missing the Charleroi lightrail (Metro Leger) system
(and possibly Antwerps "premetro" system, but that is a mixture of tram
and subway.
For Austria, I am missing the Dorfbahn Serfaus system.

Then a question about Rotterdam: Should an "Entrance" be used at
aboveground stations? E.g. Maassluis west (converted from train station
/ to be opened:
https://www.google.nl/maps/place/Maassluis/@51.9262933,4.2356667,214m
Where should the entrance be placed?