[Talk-transit] Question regarding public_transport=stop_position

Jarek Piórkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Fri Apr 3 01:50:17 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2 Apr 2020 at 20:19, Jack Armstrong <jacknstacy at sprynet.com> wrote:
> The wiki for public_transport=stop_position states, “If the stop on the public transport route has a defined platform, there is no benefit in adding public_transport=stop_position. In these cases, do not use public_transport=stop_position to avoid duplication of information and confusion.” You can see the wiki page here: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:public_transport%3Dstop_position
>
> The conversations on the wiki discussion page seem to agree that stop_position is not needed where a defined platform exists.
>
> I’m mapping railway and light-rail in a metropolitan area. Following the above wiki statement, I have removed stop positions where “defined platforms” are located. My goal is to follow the wiki, to…the…letter. Honestly, I don’t have a preference as to which manner railways are mapped.

A thing with a wiki is that it can be edited by anyone... the
statement you've quoted was added in November 2019
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag%3Apublic_transport%3Dstop_position&type=revision&diff=1922774&oldid=1805518
and is not part of the original voted-upon PTv2 proposal.

Unfortunately by now the various wiki and talk pages are a hash of
people declaring what's "necessary" and what's "confusing".
Traditionally, deciding on how to create tagging systems was done via
new tagging proposals were for, but unfortunately not everyone
respects this voted-upon scheme.

> Again, my only goal is map correctly,

To put it bluntly, the OpenStreetMap community does not currently have
a consensus on how to map "correctly". Sorry.

--Jarek