[Talk-transit] Making bus lines more specific

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Apr 29 21:12:46 UTC 2020

> Hello Robin,
>
> I highly agree with you.
> The main reason for PTv2 not having as widespread adoption as it could have is that it is not rendered, that is to say, it is not rendered on OSM_carto (Osmand's rendering of PTv2 is near-perfect).

Note that approved PTv2 proposal had explicit

"This proposal does not replace, deprecate or obsolete the already existing and well known tags. The usage of the proposed tags is recommended but not mandatory."

bus=yes was supposed to be added only to public_transport=stop_position

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Proposed_features/Public_Transport&oldid=625726#Platform

Following approved PTv2 proposal requires using highway=bus_stop to identify
public_transport=platform as bus stop.

And public_transport=platform + bus=yes is neither approved nor more popular than highway=bus_stop.

And, at least in my opinion, it is also worse tagging scheme than simple highway=bus_stop.