[Talk-transit] bus=yes opinion

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 08:40:17 UTC 2020

Let's go back to 2012. An attempt was made to solve a 'problem' and the
'new' model for mapping public transport was proposed.

Some people were mapping stops on the rail/highway, others were mapping
them next to the highway.

For rail, and especially if you have only a single OSM way to represent
multiple tracks, it made sense to map them as a node on the OSM way.

For bus stops however one wants to know on which side of the road the
passengers have to wait, so there it makes most sense to map them as a node
alongside the highway.

The bright mind that created the new model was apparently more used to
mapping railway.

So a stop alongside the way supposedly didn't need a mode of transport.

When I tried to adopt this new way of mapping stops, I thought, like many
others that eventually public_transport=platform would replace
highway=bus_stop. For it to be able to do that, information was missing
though. So I asked on the mailing lists and the answer was to add the mode
of transport to public_transport=platform as well.

Over the course of 8 years the people responsible for rendering were
dragging their feet, first it was technical issues, bus/tram/... was not in
their postgresql tables, later it was simply unwillingness.

Anyway, about a year ago, or maybe already 2 by now it became clear that
public_transport=... will never replace highway=bus_stop,
railway=tram_stop, etc.

So, my conclusion is that the whole public_transport scheme has become
moot. It even causes problems, because people are adding identical details
like name, ref, route_ref, operator, network to both the platform and the
stop_position and are adding both of them to the route relations, which
makes maintenance harder.

If it were me,  I would just map the stop nodes next to the highway with
highway=bus_stop and be done with it. If it serves as a tram stop as well,
I would add railway=tram_stop to that node next to the highway.

I've never mapped public_transport=stop_position very much. Except at the
beginning and the end of the itinerary, as I want to split the way there
anyway.

Polyglot