[Talk-TW] Fwd: [OSM-talk] Which renderer for high quality, printed cycle map?

李昕迪 Lee, Sin-di mcdlee at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 00:07:59 GMT 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Chris Hill <osm at raggedred.net>
Date: 2013/2/1
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Which renderer for high quality, printed cycle map?
To: talk at openstreetmap.org

On 31/01/13 22:06, Steve Bennett wrote:

> Hi all,
>    We'd like to produce a high quality bike map, to be printed. I'm
> looking at the various renderers and wondering if anyone has a
> recommendation?
>
> Requirements
> - looks good (eg, labels on wiggly labels aren't too wiggly, some
> ability to avoid label clashes)
> - customisable rendering (MapCSS would be a bonus)
> - some nice bike-friendly styles already available?
> - rendering to SVG would be very useful, would give us a chance to
> hand-edit the final rendering.
> - Python-based is a bonus
>
> I'm open to the idea of using existing online services, if any are
> customisable enough. Something like MapOSMatic doesn't work, as the
> style is fixed, and it can't render a big enough area.
>
> Contenders so far, from glancing through the wiki:
> - Mapnik, obviously. Doesn't support MapCSS, but Komap might help?
> - Maperitive, also no MapCSS.
> - Ceyx. Still no stable release? Hard to tell what state it's in.
>
> Pros/cons of each?
>
> Are there others to look at? I can't find a good list anywhere
> (there's http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Renderers_feature_list but
> lots of those seem old, abandoned, etc).
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Take a look at Tilemill. Under the skin it uses the power of Mapnik
(which uses AGG for subpixel line rendering). Carto, Tilemill's
definition script, is sort of CSS-like. It allows export to SVG and
other type, including Mapnik XML that then allows a full tile set to
be rendered for a given area if a slippy map is needed. The
documentation is a bit fragmented, but is getting better. I load an
extract (often from Geofabrik's excellent downloads) into Postgresql
database and render from there, but there are other options too. I
recommend it.

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly