[Talk-TW] Fwd: Question regarding translating Taiwanese addresses in English

Pierre Equoy pierre.equoy於gmail.com
Mon 3月 7 02:15:14 UTC 2016

大家好!

我不太會寫中文所以我會用英文。如果不清楚的話請跟我說!

I live in Taipei and I regularly make small edits to OSM, often to add
new shops or improve existing information about a node.

I noticed a lot of inconsistencies in the way road names are
translated in English.

The wiki [1] itself seems to be contradictory. It gives the example of

    長榮路三段

being translated as

    Changrong Rd. Sec. 3

and then points to a Taiwan Post Office web page [2] for reference.

However, if you look for this example in the Taiwan Post Office web
page, their translation is

    Sec. 3, Changrong Rd.

Moreover, the wiki is not very helpful when it comes to longer
addresses such as 「信義路2段55巷7弄」. How should this be translated?

I would follow the Post Office recommendations and write it this way in English:

    Aly. 7, Ln. 55, Sec. 2, Xinyi Rd.

What do you think?

If you agree please let me know, we could modify the wiki page to
include more information and I could start to provide better
translations to OSM!

謝謝大家!

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Taiwan#Translation_.28.E4.B8.AD.E6.96.87.E5.9C.B0.E5.9D.80.E8.8B.B1.E8.AD.AF.29
[2] http://www.post.gov.tw/post/internet/Postal/index.jsp?ID=207