[Talk-TW] Fwd: Question regarding translating Taiwanese addresses in English

Rex Tsai rex.cc.tsai於gmail.com
Mon 3月 7 16:47:13 UTC 2016

> Hi Dennis and Rex and thanks for your quick answer!
>
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 6:47 PM, Rex Tsai <rex.cc.tsai at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Aly, Ln, Sec, Rd is the convention[1], the wiki[2] should be updated.
>> (wiki is down for now)
>
> Wiki updated. I kept the existing example and added another one.

Thanks

>> BTW, we don't have good convention for key:addr[3] with english[4]. It
>
> I tried to check the Chinese version of the link and it leads me to
> even less data:
>
> http://taginfo.osm.kcwu.csie.org/keys/addr:street:en → 12 objects total
> http://taginfo.osm.kcwu.csie.org/keys/addr:street:zh → 4 objects total

People use addr:street for Chinese in Taiwan
http://taginfo.osm.kcwu.csie.org/keys/addr:street

> I'm not an expert in OSM datasets, my understanding is these data are
> used to be able to locate an address number (號) on the map in order to
> precisely determine the location of a whole address?
> Could that be generated programmatically? For instance, on an
> uninterrupted section of a road, you define the first number and the
> last one (e.g. 25 and 37), and a tool would generate and spread the
> missing ones (27 29 31 33 35) at an equal distance from each others?

Yes, that's called Karlsruhe Schema[1], which can be used for partial
surveys or a building sharing many house numbers

Example can be found here - http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/183321090

Some osm render can draw interpolated house number.
In theory, that geocoder developer can use interpolation[2] to parse
the location. but I never see a geocoding service based on OSM using
interpolated address number.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/House_numbers/Karlsruhe_Schema
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Addresses#Using_interpolation

Cheers