[Talk-ug] Using OSM Mapping to solve land conflicts in Rural Areas

Krischan Makowka jkmakowka at yahoo.de
Mon Sep 22 20:52:58 UTC 2014

Hello,

A colleague of mine who works at the Makerere GIS lab did something
quite similar with "regular" GIS 2 years or so ago.

Send him a message if you want to know more: info at karl-tiller.de

Personally I am doubtful if mapping will solve to underlying resource
conflicts and different livelihood styles, but it might be a first step.
Note though that any kind of formalization of land-owner ship is
ultimately a advantage for farmers (usually the richer ones) and a
disadvantage for pastoralists that depend on communal land (especially
the poorer ones).

Regards,

-Kris