[Talk-ug] Kampala Capital City Authority Data Import

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 16:41:10 UTC 2019

Hi Geoffrey,

Great initiative and thankful to KCCA to provide the data (already
downloaded it).

As one of the most active mappers in Uganda for the past years, I would
be happy to help out or even to join the team.  I have lot's of
experience with JOSM and QGIS and I am located close to the hub, so just
let me now, we could meet.
I also recently started with QGIS and OSM data to produce maps and
applications for the Uganda Police. My experience with them could maybe
be useful.

As I understood for now you want comments on the wiki page for the data
import.  I just took a fast glance at it, not a detailed review but see
some issues. A great work and good plan overall, good reference material.

A major one is that you refer to Maxar imagery for verification. As we
all now, Maxar supplies the most reliable and up to date satellite
imagery tiles for Uganda.  Unfortunately, as I experienced myself during
updates on a police zone, the service is offline for OSM users, due to
overload from an Indonesian mapathon.  So no longer we can use it for
verification, as an alternative I use Esri now but as we all now these
are outdated. So I suggest you review the verification process or
contact your HOT and OSM connections to make imagery available for this
project. Especially avoid overloading imagery services with mapathons.
You find the sad news about the service going offline here:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/@kevin_bullock/diary/391652.

Next I see some differences in the tagging schemes. I know it's not a
well defined subject, since we lack wiki pages describing the tagging
"standards" in UG.  Especially on wetlands, roads, drains and power
lines I see some differences and even missing keys of what I used to
follow recently.  I could give some valuable input there so wanted to
know if you are interested on a detailed review and advise or maybe in
finally starting the wiki pages to describe what was used so far and how
to build on that. You could help me to inform how I can provide the
information, talk-ug and email is not the most user friendly media to
provide extensive comments.

Greetings,

Bert Araali

On 17/12/2019 20:24, Geoffrey Kateregga wrote:

> Hi list:
>

> The Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA)[1] has released 12 datasets
> <https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vdxfLfH-imCiyAHSRNtZvbtfkTv67HEp>
> through the Mapping and Surveying of the Nakamiro Channel Area Project
> [2] which include the following
>
>  *
>
>     35,513 building footprints
>
>  *
>
>     737 road segments
>
>  *
>
>     5 marketplaces
>
>  *
>
>     1546 drainage segments
>
>  *
>
>     926 High Voltage power line
>
>  *
>
>     883 High Voltage Power Poles
>
>  *
>
>     3289 Low voltage lines, Lvpole-
>
>  *
>
>     4961 Low voltage power poles
>
>  *
>
>     172 Transformers
>
>  *
>
>     16 informal settlements
>
>  *
>
>     91 landuse features
>
>  *
>
>     198 schools
>
>  *
>
>     272 street lights
>
>  *
>
>     2 Hilltops
>
>  *
>
>     4 Spot heights
>
>  *
>
>     2 wetlands
>
> for import into OpenStreetMap, HOT[3] is assisting the Kampala Capital
> City Authority in the importing those datasets into OpenStreetMap.
>
> The idea is to only import those datasets that don't already exist in
> OSM and are up to date. The nodes, lines and polygons will be manually
> uploaded through the use of JOSM and its conflation and todo list
> plugins, in a similar way as it's been done many times already in
> different areas of the world, like the Import of Uganda Bureau Of
> Statistics Education Facilities in 2015 [4].
>
> As these datasets__are different, the imports would be independent of
> each other. So in this email, we ask for comments about the Kampala
> Capital City Authority data import.
>
> An import wiki has been produced [5], that can, of course, be modified
> during the discussion process. We are in a practical wiki will be
> written these days explaining the import workflow that every senior
> mapper will have to follow.
>
> Only datasets that will be found to be clean, verified and an update
> will be uploaded. Once we get a consensus, we would proceed to the
> imports list as the last step before starting the import.
>
> I've CC'ed  Deogratius Kiggudde who is coordinating the project, and
> Sara Amadi in Uganda.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Geoffrey Kateregga
>

> [1] https://www.kcca.go.ug/
>
> [2]
> [...]
Ing. Bert Van Opstal Mobile: +256 782 304106 Email:
bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com