[Talk-us-maine] Importing building with MapWithAI test

smocktaylor at gmail.com smocktaylor at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 14:16:49 UTC 2020

On Sun, 2020-06-07 at 09:58 -0400, Alex Hennings wrote:
> Smock, are you a developer behind MapWithAI?
Yes, I develop the JOSM MapWithAI Plugin. I have never seen any of the
code behind the MapWithAI service, although I did implement a toy
server for my address import (
https://gitlab.com/smocktaylor/serve_osm_files ).

> Regarding: "The conflation service _should_ only be returning
> buildings that do not exist in OSM"
> Many of the addresses imported in Maine arrived as building nodes. I
> hope the plugin turns those into building polygons?
If it is a node, and not a way, I would assume the service returns a
building. It isn't something I have tested (I pretty much black-box
engineered the plugin from RapiD -- the only source code I took from
RapiD was a URL, which got changed).
> What geometry does the plugin use to decide to absorb a point or not?
> Is it only if the point is INSIDE the building polygon? Does it
> handle multi-polygons?
Yes, it only absorbs points that are inside a building polygon/multi-
polygon (multi-polygon only works if it is actually _inside_ the multi-
polygon).
> What if multiple points fall inside the building? What if they don't
> have any conflicting tags?
It depends. It checks for additional points, but only on the OSM layer.
I typically add multiple points at a time (and I don't think I'm going
to change this behavior -- there may be a "super" address that you can
use in some data sets).
> Do the tags on a node effect if it is absorbed into a building (like
> skipping nodes with fixme=*, or gnis:reviewed=no which I strongly
> recommend)?
Yes. It must have an `addr` tag. I'd have to look at which ones, but I
probably just check to see if there is any tag with `addr` in it. I did
add some code that takes very similar `addr` tags and squashes them
(IIRC, `addr:housenumber` and `addr:street` must be the same, and
within some distance).
> Ouch, that source tag. Why is that a property of the building?
It is what I get from the service. From what I understand, the
MapWithAI service is currently using the Microsoft building dataset,
and I don't think I want to be removing (potentially) useful tags
automatically.